Monday, September 9, 2013

Let That Be a Lesson to You

September 9, 2013

I haven't put foot to pavement or treadmill since the Color Blaze in June of this year and that's a real shame.  So many things seemed to get in the way.  We made a major move when my husband got a job and there was so much that needed to be done.  There just didn't seem to be any time to run in there.  Then when we finally made the move there always seemed to be something that needed to be done and I was so tired.  When things were finally unpacked and organized I had to get kids ready for school.  Then there's the going back and forth between this house and the old one to work on getting the old house ready to sell.  There's always something going on and it seemed that I couldn't fit a run in.  It's also a lot hotter where we are now so my old running schedule won't work.  I used to run in the hottest part of the day but now I can't.  It's just too hot so I have to run in the morning.  I've been telling myself that I will get up with my husband (at the butt crack of dawn) and get a run in then.  That way someone will be home with the kids and I won't worry about leaving them alone even if they are sleeping and can't get into any trouble while I'm gone.  However, hubby's alarm goes off and I roll over.  I just can't seem to get myself up, especially when we are staying up too late again (although now too late is 11:00 or 12:00 not 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning!)  Well, Saturday morning I happened to step on the scale and I saw a number that was unacceptable so I told myself no more excuses.  Today I laced up the old Marathon 10's and stepped out the door.

Today's route is new territory so I didn't know what to expect although it is pavement so it's not much different than Ye Olde Courthouse Run.  The only differences are that the road is smooth, no cracks or bumps and the distance I could go didn't have any hills except for my driveway.  The road felt good under my feet.  The only problem is that I felt terrible.  I am so out of shape it's pathetic.  I couldn't breathe and everything hurt.  My legs hurt.  My arms hurt.  My lungs hurt.  My shoulder hurt - you know, that pain you get in your shoulder when you are out of breath but you keep running?  You probably remember that pain from gym class, right?  Well, I felt terrible.  I could only do one mile and almost didn't even do that.  I felt every bit of my age and then some today.  I even felt like I was going to throw up for about fifteen minutes after I got back.  UGH!!!!

I'm pretty cranky with myself because I know that I should never have stopped running; I knew this would happen.  The only thing I can do is go at it again tomorrow and hope that I get through this quick.  So, completely dissatisfied with this run today, especially since my son, who hasn't run since around April or May completed a full 5k on Saturday.  What's up with that????  I feel like a wimp and am aggravated that I didn't make the time to keep up with my passion.

So with no further ado, here are the details:  I ran one mile.  It took me 11 minutes and fifty seconds for a pace of, yup, you guessed it, 11:50.

Completely unhappy with this run but tomorrow's another day.  I will leave you with one of my inspirations:  "I guarantee that if you give up now, you will give it another shot someday.  Maybe in a month.  Maybe 6 days.  Maybe even 14.  But I know you want this and you won't stop until you get it.  So don't stop NOW.  Because when you start again you're going to look and think "Why the hell didn't I keep going?"  It'll be hard now or it'll be hard later.  YOU PICK."

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment