Thursday, September 12, 2013

Moving Right Along

9/12/13

Today is my sister's birthday!!!  Happy birthday to my beautiful sister, Diana!!!  We are "Irish Twins" which means that we are about eighteen months apart.  I read that somewhere but I'm not 100% that it's true but I like the way it sounds so I tell everyone that my sister and I are Irish Twins and if it's not true, I don't care!  :-)  Anyway, happy birthday to my beautiful sister and I hope your day is blessed!  I love you very much!

In honor of my sister's birthday and hence our progression into middle and to also to fight the ongoing Battle of the Bulge that is raging around my muffin top region, I hit The Mill again today.  I took yesterday off because I was very sore.  I was so sore I had a hard time walking.  Now, here's what I'm wondering:  Prior to Monday, the last time I ran was in June when I ran the Color Run 5k.  Before that I had trained some but not strenuously.  My son, who is eleven years old, has not set foot in front of the other one other than to walk (which he really didn't do much of this summer if you really want the honest truth) and last Saturday he ran a 5k, something he's never done in his entire life!  Okay...so what's up with that?  I ran a total of 3 miles in two days and I can barely walk and he runs a full 5k (keep in mind, I couldn't run a 5k distance if I tried right now) without training, without practice, never running one before.  I run one mile and I'm dying and it's been less time since I've run (a 5k at that) and I can't do it!  What's up with that?  My husband (or was it my mother in law?) says it's because my son didn't run very fast.  Well, okay, so he's not Speedy Gonzales, that's for sure, but even if I slow it down I still can't pull a full 5k without walking!  Granted I'm pretty out of shape, but then again, Matthew hasn't run since end of April, first of May.  Shouldn't he be out of shape too?  I just don't get it!!!!  Oh, well....so the point is, I was sore yesterday and I took the day off.  I'm glad I did.  I don't think I could've put any miles in yesterday and I'm pretty sure I would've ended up hurting myself if I had.  Glad I listened to my body and took the day off.

So, since I knew I was going to run on The Mill this morning I left the truck out of the garage when I got home from taking kids to school.  When I got back I almost talked myself out of running.  I was rather sleepy; we went to bed a bit late last night, later than I intended and when my husband's alarm went off this morning (at the butt crack of dawn, 5:50 A.M.) I wasn't able to go back to sleep.  I usually drift back off until my alarm goes off almost an hour later.  This morning I didn't get that little nap.  Bummer.  At any rate, I was a bit sleepy.  I'm actually a bit sleepy now.  Maybe I'll take a quick nap before I get out and run some errands.  However, I knew if I went back to sleep I'd probably sleep until 11:00 or noon and then it would be really hot and I would really talk myself out of running.  I suited up and headed out to The Mill.

Nothing exciting about this run today.  Ran a mile and a half at the usual pace.  I started out using the usual tricks.  I had to use the "how many minutes to half a mile" mind trick to get through the first half mile.  I then stopped for a drink.  I was feeling a little bit tired.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm out of shape or if it's because I was tired today.  Maybe it was a little of both.  I know on Tuesday I was feeling good and didn't have to use any tricks.  Then yesterday I was pretty sore so I'm not sure.  I'm feeling pretty good right now, no muscle pain or anything.  I did stretch after I ran my miles.  After my running I walked again for half a mile.  This was partly because I wanted to get in a full two miles.  I feel a bit guilty when I only run one mile; I guess I feel like I should be running more miles.

I'm feeling really sleepy now so I'm going to give you the details and post this:  Ran 1.5 miles @ 5 MPH for a pace of 12:00.  It took eighteen minutes.  Did some stretching after the run then put in .5 mile @ 3.6 MPH for a pace of 16:40.  It took 8 minutes and twenty seconds.

All in all, it was a good run.  I do like running in the garage.  It's almost like having The Mill outside with the privacy of being inside (so no one can watch me jiggle....and EVERYTHING is jiggling right now....UGH!!!)  Seems like a win-win to me!  Satisfied with this run but will be glad to be up to my normal mileage and working on upping my mileage and speed.

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment