Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year's Resolution

January 7, 2013

Well, it's that time of year again.....the time of year when we all decide to make changes in our lives and we try for a few weeks, some of us make it.  Like so many other people I made my New Year's Resolution and of course it had to have something to do with running.  Truth is, I'm so out of shape and my new jeans are getting to the point where they don't fit.  Something had to be done and I know just what to do.

I couldn't start on January 1st because I had my granddaughter and I wanted to start at the beginning of the week.  I've decided that my new running schedule will be Monday - Friday with Saturday and Sunday off.  This is because I usually have my granddaughter on weekends and it is very difficult to run with her.  She is now nine months old and she is extremely mobile.  I don't want her getting hurt and when it gets warmer I'll be running outside.  She wasn't too keen on running in the stroller the one time we tried it and I'm not sure I want to mess with it anyway.  It's best to just work my running schedule around my time with Poppy.  :-)

Today I had to hit the dreaded treadmill.  As if it's not bad enough that I'm so out of shape that it was going to be difficult to start up again, on top of that, I have to run on the treadmill.  YUCK!!!!  Here's the conversation I had with the treadmill before I got on it:  "Hello Old Friend.  Are you ready to kill me?  Well, okay then, bring it on, Bitch!"  (Normally I try really hard not to say those kinds of words, but if you've read me regularly you know how I feel about the treadmill....it seemed kind of appropriate.  Besides, Bitch did try to kill me today, so, all's fair, right?)  I decided I was going to put it up at 5.0 MPH and go with it.  It was rough.  No, it was ROUGH!  I wasn't even running for two minutes and I wanted to get off.  UGH!!!  I ran thinking if there was ever a time for all those mind games I play with myself, it was now.  And I used them all.  The first trick I used was the wait for water trick.  I gave myself half a mile, then I stopped to rest and have a drink of water.  That worked pretty well until I started feeling tired.  Then it I had to start the counting trick.  I counted minutes and tenths of a mile until I could stop to rest.  I made it to two miles that way.  By then I was exhausted and I didn't want to go anymore but I really wanted to go for three miles so I slowed it down and walked at 3.6 MPH for about half a mile.  By then I was pretty well done with the whole experience and I had rested a little bit so I kicked it back up to 5.0 MPH and ran for the last 1/2 mile.

I could say "Wow, it's amazing how quickly you can get out of shape" but it's been a really long time since I've run.  I haven't run since the last 5k which I think was in late September or early October.  I can't even remember when it was....that's how long it's been since I ran!  So, really I have no excuse and I know I'm out of shape.  I'm hoping that it won't take very long to get back in the swing and I'll be running 5k distance in no time.  I certainly hope so because this having to stop and rest really sux!  I've also got that silly tickle in the back of my throat, you know, the one that you get after you've been breathing hard and then you have to cough.  YUCK!  I feel pretty out of shape and mentally beat up.  I'm ready for tomorrow though.  As I said earlier, Bring it on, Bitch!

On a side note, I really like the Addidas Duramo on the mill.  I didn't like them on the street but I really like them on the mill.  I put new arch supports in them and my knees didn't hurt.  That makes me happy.  I'm also happy that I found a home for these shoes.  I hated that I spent money on them then didn't like them.  Now they won't be wasted.  YAY!!!


Here's the details:  I did 3.043 miles on the mill.  Average pace was 12:49.  2.5 miles was run at 5.0 MPH and 1/2 mile was walked at 3.6 MPH.  My time was 39:01 minutes and  I had to stop and rest every 1/2 mile so time involved was probably more like 45:00.  My treadmill doesn't keep going when I stop to rest like my Garmin does.

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment