Wednesday, May 15, 2013

And We Are Off and Running.....Pun Indended!

May 15, 2013

Day two of training and today was a bit easier.  Today I was on the treadmill again.  I very briefly toyed with the idea of running outside but I was pretty sure I am not ready for the hills yet since I only started back up again Monday.  Maybe that's me being a wimp and I should reconsider.  If I tackle the hills now I don't have to tackle them later.  That's something to think about and I will have to consider it long and hard tonight during my quiet time after the kids have gone to bed.

So....today I was on THE MILL.  UGH!  Have I mentioned how much I hate THE MILL?  I suppose I have.  However, today I have guilt about saying how much I hate The Mill.  Today we meshed rather well if I do say so myself!  We kind of had an agreement.  I wouldn't detest him today if he wouldn't try to kill me.  It seemed to work out well.  Of course today I had the help of Cameo, Ricky Martin, The Trans Siberian Orchestra, Bon Jovi, and Billy Idol.  They kept me company rather well and helped speed the time along.  I really must make a new play list.  I get bored with the same ones.  The good thing about stopping running for a while (the ONLY good thing about it) is that when you put your headphones on and jam to your play list the songs are all fresh.  After you've run for a while you are listening to the same stuff over and over and over again and it gets stale and you get bored an unmotivated.  I say this after considering that I have well over a thousand songs on my iPod, LOL!  At any rate, yes, you do get bored.....even with thousands of songs!  I word in my defense though, I make playlists because obviously some songs are better for running than others.  I mean, who wants to run to Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time"?  Anyone?  Didn't think so!  So, anyway, my songs are fresh and that makes it a little less boring.

Today's run was quite a bit better than Monday's.  I felt better and I wasn't out of breath as bad.  Today I focused quite a bit on my breathing because I did feel like I was breathing much to hard Monday.  I also had quite a cough after I got off The Mill on Monday.  I coughed all afternoon which is very strange because I didn't have a cold.  I have found that after a run, if I haven't run in a while, I develop a cough.  How strange.  I will have to look that up on the internet.  I'm digressing again though.  Today's run was better.  I was focusing on breathing.  I took deep breaths in and deep breaths out.  I tried to breath slowly and evenly so as to not become out of breath.  It seemed to work.  I'm not sure if it was my breathing technique or that my body remembers running but it felt better.  I will continue to experiment with this breathing technique over the next few days.  It felt good.

Today I did seem to wear out at first but as I ran I felt better.  During the first few minutes I wanted to stop.  My body kept saying "I'm tired.  I don't want to run." like my kids when they are being whiney and petulant.  I kept at it though and was able to get through my personal goal for today.  Today's goal was again to run 1.5 miles.  I know that's not very much but I'm trying to work myself up to the 5k and if I set out to run a full 3.1 miles I would fail.  I'm that out of shape.  I don't want to set myself up for failure and then quitting so I start my goals small and work up.  I should be running a full 5k by the middle of next week if today's training is evidence of how quickly I can recover my running legs.  Also this week I'm only running every other day.  Next week I will kick it up and run every day except weekends.  Saturday and Sunday will be my rest days.  I will be busy those days with my granddaughter and I need time to recover.

As far as runs goes, this one was okay to good.  I had to stop at the 1/2 mile intervals to take a drink.  That's okay.  Next week I will be better, stopping at the mile marks to get a drink.  As my strength increases my endurance will as well and I will be able to go farther between stops.  This is my goal for next week.  :-)

Here's the details:  I ran 1.5 miles @ 5.0 MPH for a pace of 12:00.  It took 18 minutes to complete this run.  I followed this up with 0.5 mile walking cool down @ 3.6 MPH for a pace of 16:40.  It took 8 minutes and 20 seconds to walk this.

I'm quite content with this run today even though it was on the treadmill.  I still like my Addidas Duramo's for The Mill.  My Addidas Marathon 10's are feeling a little jealous.  Sometimes I think I can hear them calling to me begging to get out of their box and go, LOL!  Patience, my dear Marathon 10's.  They are still my favorites but I did buy these Duramo's and I feel like since I spent so much money on them I need to use them.  Besides, they feel good on The Mill so that's a good place to wear them.

On to the next run!!!!

Happy Running!

KEA

P.S.  As I said on Monday, I will be posting the link so anyone who is interested can donate to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k.  This cause is very important to me and I am asking everyone to please be generous and donate, even if it's just a small amount.  Even a small amount can help women who don't have insurance obtain a mammogram and treatment for breast cancer.  Please donate to help:  http://www.komenstlouis.org/site/TR/Race/General?px=1542226&pg=personal&fr_id=1150

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment