Sunday, June 9, 2013

Colorize Me!!!!

June 8, 2013

Okay, I realize I've got two posts marked with the same date.  With the first post I just wanted to post that I had run the 5k and I was MUCH too tired to give the details.  In this post I will talk about the run and give the details.

Before we go any further I would like to just throw out there that if you have not run one of these, DO IT!  It is loads of fun.  There, having said that, got that out of the way, let's talk about it!

This was not a race so I won't call it a race.  This was a 5k run and the whole point of it was to have fun.  It was held in my home town so this trip up was a good excuse to see one of my besties too.  I got to town around noon and we spent the early afternoon taking pictures of my new inventory to post on my website.  (I sell $5 jewelry and accessories; if you want to check that out, go to www.facebook.com/PaparazziByKarley or www.paparazzibykarley.weebly.com.)  Around three o'clock I left to go pick up my run packet.  The run was being held at a park that had been built near the neighborhood I grew up in.  When I got to the park the parking lot was full but I lucked out and found a spot that someone must have just left.  :-)  The lines for packet pick up were long and it was chilly.  I was a little concerned that I hadn't brought warmer running clothes.  Then again, running warms you up so I guess it wouldn't have mattered if was chilly as long as it wasn't cold.  While in line I chatted with the people around me.  The woman behind me was with her daughter.  Her daughter is a morning runner and the woman was a burn victim.  She had lost several siblings to a fire.  She didn't say but I assumed it was the fire that she survived.  She had made T-shirts to support burn victims.  The organizers of the race were donating to the Memorial Regional Burn Center.  We chatted while we waited in line to pick up packets.  The wait wasn't THAT bad although I've seen people complaining on the website that the wait was too long.  Maybe I'm just naturally patient?  Yeah, right....NOT!  LOL!!!!  Once you got up to the table it was quick and easy, although I do want to point out to the people who made the signs for packet pick up that N comes after M.  The signs were labeled A - G, H - N, M - Z.  HELLO!!!!  Someone needs to go back to school!  Anyway, packet pick up was a cinch except for parking and waiting in line.  They gave me a T-shirt, a racing bib and a baggie full of pink powder.  I wasn't sure if I was meant to start my colorizing early or what but I decided to save it and take it home to let my kids play with it.

My bestie and I had planned on having an early dinner and settling in early but packet pick up took longer than I expected then I had to run to WalMart and pick up a pair of jeans.  I had set a pair out to put in my bag but somehow between setting them out and leaving they didn't make it into my bag.  So dinner ended up a little later than we had planned.  We have two traditions when I visit.  We go out for Mexican the night I get there and one morning of my visit we go to IHOP.  We have a regular restaurant that we patronize when I come to town.  So one order steak fajitas and a strawberry margarita for me and an order of Texas fajitas, a raspberry ice tea, and a peach daquari for my bestie and a shared order of fried ice cream later we headed out to Verizon to have my phone checked out.  It's been acting up.  It intermittently works and sometimes it won't send/receive texts and then sometimes it says "No mobile network available".  Oliver at Verizon said it was the SIM card and gave me a new one.  The phone started working again then went back to its old tricks.  Don't know what the problem is.  I'm going to have to have it looked at again.  Anyway....we made some stops, went back to my besties house, hung out then got to bed early.  Well, she did anyway.  I couldn't sleep so I stayed up and read until 12:30.  That was okay though because the run didn't start until 11:00 and I didn't need to be there until 10:00.

Saturday was a bright sun shiny day and it was warm.  I was up around 8:00, messed around on the computer and read some more, my bestie was still sleeping, and around 9:00 started getting ready for the run.  The odd thing about 5k's is that most of the ones I run aren't really about racing.  This is the fourth one I've run and of all of them only one was about racing.  So, it seemed really odd that I had a kind of nervousness about me.  I went over all my gear:  white shirt, check...light colored shorts, check...sport bra, check...iPod charged, check...racing bib, check...shoes & racing socks, check...Garmin, check...water bottle filled half way the previous night and put in freezer, check!  I was ready....oh, no, I wasn't!  I had forgotten to bring safety pins for the racing bib and I had forgotten to pick some up while I was at WalMart the night before, and I had been there twice the day before!  DOH!  Luckily I had one from the strap of the cami I wore the day before and my bestie found three others.  I was set.

Now, before I go any further, I want to explain something about my bestie.  She has a hard time leaving the house in certain situations.  For instance, going out to dinner the night before was okay because of the time we went and the restaurant we went to.  As I said before it's a tradition and a place she's extremely familiar with and on top of that, it's usually not too crowded so it was easier for her to go.  However, this race was a different story.  I believe the count of people that were there was at least 3,000 and while I was running my bestie would've had to have been standing alone amidst all the others who were milling about.  That would've been too much for her.  She said she probably could have done it if she would've had someone to be with her but no one was available.  So, for the first time ever I was alone.  I've always run alone so that didn't bother me and it didn't bother me that my bestie couldn't go with me.  It did bother me to be alone though.  All around me everyone had someone with them.  Everyone was having fun and enjoying the festivities but I was alone and there was no one to take pictures with, and believe me, if you do a color run of any kind you are going to want to take pictures, and there was no one to visit with while waiting for the run to start.  I got there around 10:15.  My sister's friend lives in the neighborhood that the run course went through and she graciously allowed me to park in her drive way.  Thank you very much, Melissa!  Her house was about half the distance of the run so I got a warm up walk in before I ran which I found very nice.

Upon arriving the first thing I had to do was find the bathrooms.  I had only had a handful of chocolate almonds to eat so I wasn't heavy and I didn't have to GO TO THE BATHROOM, if you know what I mean, but I did need to pee and I figured if I was going to run I needed to run on an empty bladder or I would be stopping at Melissa's house to use the bathroom and that would cut into my time, LOL!!!  Unfortunately, there were no bathrooms but there was a line of lovely Port-A-Potties.  I know most of us have had the wonderful experience of the Port-A-Pottie but for those select few who have not.....Port-A-Potties are DISGUSTING!  And for those who have had the experience let me reiterate, Port-A-Potties are DISGUSTING!!!!!  Also there was no where to wash my hands when I was done.  Yuck!  So...after waiting in line (again) for the bathroom, I was quick because the potty I was in looked like someone else had some pre-run nerves and they weren't so lucky as me!  GROSS!!!!

After using the potty I wandered around for a little bit taking in the scene.  Almost everyone was wearing a white shirt.  Some were wearing the shirts they provided; others were wearing their own shirts.  I made a shirt to wear myself.  I wanted to show off my Paparazzi bling so a friend of mine made me a shirt.  Thanks, Melanie!  Some people were wearing tutus.  I don't understand that.  Not sure how they could move comfortably in those itchy net skirts in that heat but I'm pretty sure none of the tutu wearers were running.  I wandered around for a while to kill time.  I thought a couple of friends were supposed to be there so I was sort of looking for them but given the crowd it's no surprise that I didn't find anyone I knew.  After wandering aimlessly for a bit; I was hoping I wasn't looking too much like a loser who didn't have any friends, I decided to walk with a purpose and to find a place to do some stretching.  It looked like people were lining up on the side walks so I meandered that way, picked a spot and started loosening up and doing some stretching.  It was still pretty early but it turns out the lines were actually lines for the starting line so I picked a spot and stayed there.  They played some dance music (step to the right...one hop this time....everybody clap your hands) and people were dancing and having fun while waiting for the run to start.  Finally eleven o'clock came and it was time to start the run.  The sidewalk made a circle with the Starting line at the top of the circle and I had somehow chosen a spot that was at the bottom of the circle.  However, people were heading to the Starting line from both side of the circle so I being in the middle, I picked a side and waited.  I picked the wrong side.  The run started at 11:00.  At 11:17 some of the first people, the fast ones, were already crossing the finish line and I was still waiting.  While waiting I chatted with people in line with me.  We were amazed that we were still waiting and people were already coming in.  Long story short....I know, too late....I didn't get out on the course until 11:40, a full forty minutes after the race was supposed to start.  AND the other line of the circle was already on the course by the time I even got close to the Starting line.  Go figure!  LOL!  The really sucky thing was that me and the two ladies in front of me I was chatting with had FINALLY gotten to the Starting line and they cut us off into the next group.  We had to wait another ten minutes before we could go out on the course.  It was pretty warm too.

At 11:40 I finally got to head out onto the course.  The first part of the course was fairly easy.  The whole course was sidewalk, except when you needed to pass a group of people that was going slower than you.  Then you had to go around on the grass which I really don't care for.  But, as I said, the first part of the course was easy.  I had good strong music blaring in my ears and I was in the zone.  Unfortunately, I started the run out too fast and I think I wore myself out.  There was a hill about a quarter of a mile in.  It wasn't too bad though.  Nothing I couldn't handle and it was the only hill in the whole course.  But as I said, I started out too fast.  I believe I was running at a pace of 9:56 which is too fast for me.  I ran a full two miles but I just couldn't go any more.  My body was tired and I was hurting.  My legs were aching and my muscles were tired.  I had to walk.  I walked maybe about half a mile of the whole run.  However, I was determined to finish the run running so I took off toward the end and I ran the finish.

As I said in a previous blog, I looked over the course to familiarize myself with it before I ran it and there was only one water station.  We did run through the area twice so if need be there was another opportunity for water, but it was about a half mile from the finish so I decided that the best way to handle this run was to carry water.  I found a bottle that you don't have to unscrew to open at WalMart that was only $1.50 filled it about half way full and put it in the freezer the night before.  Right before I left the house I took it out of the freezer and filled it with cold water.  The plan was that the ice would cool the water I put in the bottle and melt throughout the run, keep the water cool and keep the bottle replenished throughout the run.  Unfortunately, we had to wait so long to start that the ice was melted before we were even close to the Starting line.  However, warm water is better than no water so I wasn't complaining.  I got pretty hot while running so it was good to have the water to squirt over me too.  I only did that twice.  I didn't want to run out of water to drink!  This worked out pretty well.  While I didn't much care for having something in my hand while I was running, I did like having water handy.  I'm going to have to think about this.  Having water handy is nice.

Now, on to a few comments about the run.  There were at least 3,000 people at this event.  That's a LOT of people.  I want to say that I have never been in the presence of that many people where I didn't see a child throwing a temper tantrum, a teenager being sullen and buttheaded or people behaving badly.  I did not see one person acting mean, nasty, gross, selfish or bad in any way.  I will even go so far as to say that I did not even see one baby cry!  And that's the truth!  Everyone at this event was having a good time.  It was truly a joy to see.  While there was whooping and hollering, there was no unruly screaming and I didn't see one person dressed vulgar.  I did see a girl in a wig with rainbow hair but that was just unattractive, not vulgar, LOL!!!  It was truly an enjoyable event.  People were throwing powder on each other; no one got angry with anyone for throwing powder on them and there was a bit of that going on.  There was a guy who had a bag of purple powder who was walking through the crowd throwing powder on people before the run started.  He got me with a tiny bit of it but I didn't care.  That was what the run was all about!  So, a well behaved group of people and it was nice.

While we were waiting for the run to start there was a guy who had a tank of the powder mixed with water, kind of like the tanks that exterminators use for their bug killer gunk, and he was spraying us as we got closer to the Starting line.  That was fun.  There were two "Color Stations" in the run as well.  The first was just shortly after we got on the course.  There were several people sitting on the side of the sidewalk with boxes of the powder and they were throwing it on everyone.  I didn't expect that.  I guess I expected something more like the tanks and having people being squirted.  At any rate, you ran by the people and they threw the powder on you.  If you wanted both sides colorfied you had to go on both sides of the sidewalk.  That would've been pretty hard to do since there were so many people on the course at the same time.  However, despite there being only two color stations and it being a little difficult to get to both sides at each station, I did get pretty colorfied.

All in all, this run was a ton of fun.  I will say it again:  If you get a chance to do one of these runs, DO IT!  It's worth the training and the entrant fee.  A few words of advice if you plan to do one:  1)  Wear white.  Wear as much white as you possibly can, white shirt, white shorts, white socks, white shoes....wear WHITE!  2)  Wear sunglasses or some sort of eye protection.  The powder got in my eyes and was yucky.  3)  When you go through the color stations, put your shirt over your nose.  The powder makes a big cloud and it's kind of yucky to breathe in, especially if you are running.  Bring a handkerchief or put your shirt over your nose or something.  4)  Don't run this alone.  This would've been soooooooooooooo much more fun if I'd had at least one friend to run it with me.  You really need someone along to take pictures with, goof off with and just have a great time with.  5)  Don't take this run seriously.  I don't mean, don't take your running seriously, for me the goal is always to run a full 5k and not have to walk and to put up my best effort and best time that I can.  What I mean is this is an event that is all about having fun and goofing off.  That's the whole point of this run so don't get bent when people are walking or dancing or goofing off on the course.  That's the whole point of the run.  7)  Don't take anything with  you that you will be upset if it gets dirty.  This run is messy.  Put your cell phone in a baggie or some kind of running belt or whatever.  Put your iPod in an arm band and keep it covered.  Things get messy really quick.  (I didn't even take my cell phone with me and left my keys at my car keys at my sister's friend's house for her to keep safe for me.)  8)  Finally, have fun!!!!!!  Dress up if you want to.  Decorate your shirt if you want to.  Be goofy but have lots of fun because that's what this type of run is about!

Now for the numbers!  As I said, I had to walk some of this.  It was hot and I'm out of shape AND I started out too fast.  I ran 3.14 miles and my time was 38:24;  my running site says my average pace was 12:14.  That's a little slower than my pace on The Mill, but I did start out faster and ended up having to walk so this is an average of all the paces I ran through the whole thing.

Overall I'm satisfied with this run.  Deep down I knew I was more likely than not going to end up walking some of this, especially since it was in the middle of the day and it was hot.  I'm glad I wasn't hard on myself about this run.  I am glad I could realize this wasn't about putting up my best time and that it was about having fun.  I wish I would've had someone to enjoy this with.  Next time I will make sure I have someone to go with me even if I don't have a running partner.  Incidentally, I've never had a running partner to start with so that's not even really the issue.  I just wish I would've had someone with me to talk with and enjoy the event with.  All in all it was a good time!

Finally, there is still one week left to donate to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure!  Please help with this worthy cause.  I've heard a rumor that this is the last year they are doing this run because they can't get enough donations.  I don't know how true that is and I haven't researched it at all so it could be just a bunch of bunk but if it IS true, please, don't let that happen.  Donate today!  Here's the link:   http://www.komenstlouis.org/site/TR/Race/General?px=1542226&pg=personal&fr_id=1150

Happy Running!

KEA

2 comments:

  1. I stashed a bottle of water in the fridge for you, just in case! You should have said something... The race did look like fun, but after a while my neighbor and I started joking that it looked like hordes of zombies roaming the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! It was funny how everyone did start to look the same, especially after looking at the pictures you posted.

    ReplyDelete