Friday, August 31, 2012

Back To the Country

August 31, 2012

Another night of cheer leading practice and another opportunity to run in the country.  This time I knew what to expect and I was better prepared.  This time I brought along my sun glasses but I still haven't figured out a way to carry water without spending a bunch of money on a belt of a backpack that will weigh me down.  I've to figure this one out because I've decided that running without water SUX!!!!  BIG TIME!!!!  Actually, I have a small backpack that I could carry an old Diet Coke bottle, one of those ones that you get at gas stations.  If you fill one of those half way with water, stick it in the freezer and let it freeze then fill it with water you end up with a nice cold bottle of water that stays cold as it melts.  I suppose I could do that and use that small backpack.  I just don't want to carry that on my back and be more sweaty than I get.  I'm also afraid it would get heavy.  I don't want to add more weight to myself as well.  I'll have to think about it.

So, anyway, I set out on my run again tonight after a couple of delays.  I had to give my daughter insulin at practice since NaNa took the kids to McDonald's and dropped my daughter off to practice and she hadn't been able to get her insulin.  Then I had to go back home and get her tennis shoes since she'd worn flip flops out to eat and needed tennis shoes for practice.  When I was finally able to set out I'd almost talked myself out of the run!  But I decided to go ahead and get it done.  I started out and tried to be more aware of my pace when I started out.  On Tuesday when I started out I was running @ a pace of 10:42 which made me super tired by the time I got farther along and hit hills, etc.  I tried to be more aware of just how fast I was running.  I didn't want to wear out and have to walk again.  Walking feels like failure to me and I don't like failure.

Tonight's run was better than Tuesday night's.  It felt better; there were less cars so there was less running in the grass but then again, I decided to just stop and wait for the car to pass instead of trying to run in the grass.  It's just not worth the chance of stepping into some clump of dry dirt pile or hole and spraining my ankle.  I do like the feel of the road beneath my feet and I like this route but it's just not worth it since the road seems to be busy.  I won't run this route again unless my daughter has cheer practice at the gym again.  I'll stick to the courthouse run or the "trail" at the sports complex where cheer practice is normally held.

I didn't have to stop or walk once tonight which made me very happy.  It was still rough.  I'm still running without water which as previously stated SUX BIG TIME!  I do need to come up with some way to carry water.  I'm probably going to have to break down and either buy a belt of just accept the fact that I am going to have to carry a backpack.  I have a belt that I carry my cell phone and my driver's license in and I've tried to hook a water bottle to it but so far I've not come up with a way to do it and my engineer husband hasn't weighed in with any ideas.  I guess it's going to have to be the small backpack.  At any rate, I've talked enough about carrying water and need to get back to the run itself.  It was a rough run but I felt good at the end.  No knee pain, no back pain, no foot pain and I didn't keel over dead so that's all good, right?  I am pretty happy with this run.  The hills are still hard but at least I ran up them and didn't have to walk.  YAY!

Tonight I ran 3.12 miles.  It took me thirty-eight minutes and my average pace was 12:06.  This is a tiny bit better than Tuesday.  I ran a full 5k distance and my pace was just slightly better.  I'll take those extra hundreths, thank you very much!  I'm satisfied with this run all in all and would like to go back to that route and conquer the hills but it just doesn't seem safe with the cars and such.  I have a lot going on at home tomorrow with the kids tomorrow so I guess I'll hit the treadmill tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes tomorrow.

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment