Saturday, August 4, 2012

New Training Program No Clever Title

July 31, 2012

So....after the last run I have been feeling very apathetic about running.  I bought a book to help me learn how to run faster and I decided to implement one of the suggested training programs in one of the first chapters of the book.  The premise is that if you increase your endurance you will increase your speed.  I understand the concept; it kind of makes sense but I'm not convinced yet.  I think this is because I'm still feeling very unmotivated.  I wish I could fix that but for now I just don't know what to do about it.

So the first run in the program called for thirty minutes of "jogging".  I believe this is supposed to be "race pace".  I took the normal Courthouse run with the circle around the back of the courthouse.  It was pretty hot and I had originally thought about hitting the treadmill instead of heading outside but I did go ahead and decide to hit the road.  I have been told that once you hit the streets you will prefer them to the treadmill.  I didn't believe that until I really had hit the streets and now I understand it and I agree.  I have been very vocal about how boring the treadmill is so yeah, that's would be me preferring the street to the treadmill.  So if there's even a remote possibility that I can run outside I will.

It was hot out but it wasn't completely unbearable.  I ran the first mile with no problem but I haven't been out or on the mill for a few days and it's amazing how quickly you fall out of shape.  I'm finding that if I miss more than two days I lose what I've gained and I have to start over.  I haven't run for several days and with the lack of enthusiasm I've lost quite a bit of my "edge".  After rounding behind the courthouse and stopping at the first water fountain I was wearing down and I had to walk.  I walked most of the way home.  I was worn out.  My time suffered and I was feeling upset at myself for having to walk on the first day of training that is supposed to help me increase my speed.

The method of measurement here is minutes, not miles so even though I will be recording mileage and pace, etc as usual, the main focus here is minutes.  Here's the breakdown:  I ran 2.4 miles.  My average pace was 13:22 and I ran for 32 minutes.  My fastest pace was 10:57.  I stopped twice for water at the two different water fountains in town.  I ended up walking the last mile and I was exhausted.

I am completely dissatisfied with this run.  I don't know what it is that is making me feel so uninspired about my running.  I even delayed posting this blog; even writing about it makes me feel awful.  For some reason since my last run I am just feeling so unmotivated.  I need to get it in gear because that 5k will sneak up on me and I won't be prepared.  Not only do I want to beat my husband (who keeps telling me that I will beat him no problem) I want to improve my time from the last 5k.  It is important to me to improve.  This is my chosen "sport" and I want to excel in it!  I need to figure out what's going on with me and kick it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment