Thursday, August 9, 2012

Just Keep Running, Just Keep Running....

August 8, 2012

Well, last week my training got messed up.  I went up to watch Poppy on Friday.  Friday was supposed to be a rest day anyway and we had dinner with my mom, my oldest daughter and my youngest daughter.  We were celebrating my mom's birthday which was the 7th.  I had planned on bringing Poppy home with us Friday night but my daughter wanted me to watch her on Saturday and keep her over night so we planned on coming up Saturday morning to pick her up.  That meant that I was going to miss Saturday's training unless Poppy gave me the opportunity to get some running in.  She didn't.  On Sunday which was the day that called for 75 minutes of "easy" running we ended up going up to my daddy's house to go to church and spend time with the family up there.  They don't get to see Poppy very often.  So the training got off track but I was determined to get back with it this week.  Unfortunately, Monday's training was missed because we ended up running errands all day.  UGH!  It wasn't looking good.  I was determined to get with it today!

Tuesday's running on the schedule calls for sixty minutes of "easy" running.  I learned my lesson last week and started out this long session with the treadmill set at 4.4 mph.  It was feeling too light so I kicked the incline up to 2.0.  That felt better.  This was a pretty good run.  I wasn't as tired as I thought I would be.  I believe last time I talked about the mental tricks that I use to keep myself going.  Today I divided up my time into ten minute segments.  I count down the ten minutes.  I try really hard not to watch the numbers on the mill itself but I can't help it.  I can't watch TV or look at a point on the wall like some people can.  I feel like I'm falling off if I'm not looking at the machine in some way.  This is silly but it's one of those mental things again.  It also helps me keep track of whether I'm keeping track of time accurately.  Yet another mental game I play.  I'm always counting down something, be it mileage or time or even how many songs it will take to finish.  I always over estimate so I am happily surprised when I have less to go than I figured.  This is a classic Star Trek "Scotty" trick.  Scotty says to over estimate to the captain so he thinks you're wonderful when you under deliver.  Scotty was a genius, yeah?  LOL!

So today's run was uneventful and of course since it was on the mill, it was boring.  Oh well.  It's better than running in the heat.  Today I started out with the treadmill at 4.4 mph with the incline set at 1.5 (default setting) but I quickly raised up the incline to 2.0.  One of my goals is to keep increasing the incline as well.  I know 2.0 isn't that impressive but it's a start, yeah?  So I kept the speed at 4.4 mph until the last nine minutes.  Then I kicked it up to 5.0.  At 4.4 mph the pace is 13:38 and that give me gave me a little under four miles.  At a speed of 5.0 mph the pace is 12:00 and that gave me just over half a mile.  I ended up running 4.512 miles and I ran for 60:02.  I don't like the treadmill (as I think we have established in previous blogs) but I really don't know where I would run for an hour (since running the hills in town is so intimidating) other than the track which I believe would be equally boring and it's still rather hot so for now the treadmill is going to have to be it for the longer runs.  Tomorrow's run calls for thirty minutes of "easy" running.  Perhaps we will do this outside.  I want to find somewhere new to run but I think while I'm in training is not the best time to be exploring new routes.  We will stick with the courthouse run I think.  Sooner or later I'm going to have to get out there and run the actual 5k route.  I think I should probably do that the last couple weeks of August.  That will give me a good idea how hilly it is going to be.  If I can do some training on the actual route itself I can know about what my time will be.  And getting back outside will give me the chance to play with my Garmin again.  Have I mentioned how much I love my Garmin?  I supposed I have!

At any rate, it's pretty late so I better get to bed.

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment