Thursday, August 9, 2012

Under the Moonlight

August 9, 2012

As I was running tonight I was thinking about what I wanted to talk about in tonight's blog.  I'm tired of writing the basics about my running and I'm beginning to think it's boring to read.  I've talked about my training and my mileage and the tricks I use to keep my mind occupied and how many times can I talk about the run itself?  It's boring but the bottom line is this is a blog about running and it's kind of my daily running diary so it looks like I'm stuck writing about running.  However, I can share the things that go through my mind as I'm running.

So tonight's training called for thirty minutes of "easy."  I'm still a little having a little trouble with easy.  The book I'm reading says "conversational pace."  I run alone so to determine if I'm at conversation pace every once in a while I sing a bit to make sure I can sing and run without losing anything....breath, lunch, tune, whatever.  For me that's a pace of about 13:00.  This running at easy pace is still hard for me.  I want to be fast.  To me a pace of 13:00 isn't fast.  But the book was written by someone who knows running and knows running fast so I'm trusting he will improve my time if I follow his advice.  Since I'm a beginner I'm trusting the expert.

This blog is temporarily interrupted to express a intense love and adoration to my husband sitting in the chair next to me.  I was happily typing along and somehow deleted EVERYTHING I had just typed and was in the process of having a small little moment of frustration when he calmly says to me "Didn't CTRL Z bring it back?"  I hit CTRL Z and miraculously everything I had typed reappeared, magically before my very eyes.  I looked at him with adoration and said "I love you."  He made kissy faces at me and all is well in the blogging world and I learned a new trick to save me when I accident delete everything I type.  Yay!  We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog!

So, as I said before I so rudely deleted my typing, today's training called for thirty minutes at an easy, conversational pace.  I put my run off for a very long time today.  I don't know why I was dreading it so much.  I think because I was originally planning to do this on the treadmill.  The treadmill is in the living and right now the kids are living in the living room.  See, we don't have central air right now (that is another story altogether and I will share it another time); we only have two window units in our dining room cooling off the entire lower level of our house.  We have four children and they are sleeping on the couches in the living room.  They spend all their time in the living room, playing video games, watching TV, etc. and the living room and despite parental intervention the living room is almost always one step away from being a complete and total disaster area!  This makes for an unpleasant running experience and reminds me that tomorrow we need to have a serious clean up!  So after putting off my run for a very long time (which also may or may not have something to do with House Hunters, Property Brothers and My First Place being on HGTV earlier this evening) before I knew it, it was 8:00 PM.  I looked out the window and it was looking a little dark.  I didn't realize it was starting to get dark early so soon!  I thought about it and went outside to check the temperature.  It felt wonderful so I got out the Garmin and set it up to go for an outdoor run.

I set out and felt pretty good except for a little pain in my left knee although after a while it went away.  I took the usual court house run with the run around the back.  By the time I got to the court house and was heading around the back it was a little darker than twilight.  I found out though that I really like running at night.  Unfortunately it's not really safe for a woman to run alone at night, even in a small town.  I think I've said that on the way back I always head back on the opposite side of the street than I start on.  Well, I must tell you that this just may be a mistake.  You see on the opposite side of the street is all the shops and such that line the main street of the town.  One of the businesses that is on that side of the road is a restaurant that has recently opened.  It's a sort of Italian type restaurant.  One of the local families' sons went to culinary school and came back home and opened this restaurant.  We've eaten there once and the food was pretty good.  The problem here is that when I run by the restaurant it smells delicious!  I want to stop and chow down!  Perhaps I should change my route?  LOL!!!

So all in all this was a good run.  I felt good aside from the slight pain in my knee.  I ran 2.34 miles in thirty minutes.  My average pace was 12:50 which as I've said makes me unhappy but I have to keep in mind that this training isn't about speed, well, it IS about speed but it's more about endurance in order to improve speed.  So I have to keep that in mind while I'm recording my mileage and pace.  So, I've learned tonight that I really enjoy running at night.  It feels like I'm on an adventure but I probably shouldn't do this very often.  It's just not safe to run by oneself at night even in a small town.  Tomorrow's training calls for a thirty minute jog or rest.  I do believe I will opt for the jog even though tomorrow is trivia night.  I will have to find a way to fit it in.

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment