Sunday, October 21, 2012

I Am a Beast!

September 13, 2012

I recently got a new pair of shoes and so many things kept coming up (and I kept using them as an excuse not to run) that I haven't had the opportunity to try them out until tonight.  They are Addidas (my current brand of choice) Duramo 4's and the jury is still out as to whether or not I like them.  They fit well and I guess they are okay but I didn't love them as much as I do my Addidas Marathon 10's.  Perhaps I'm just more attached to the Marathons.  We shall see as I intend to give the Duramo's the benefit of the doubt and will continue to break them in.

Tonight's run was the cheer leading practice trail.  The loop is getting boring but the hills are getting easier.  There's that big one at the beginning of my run and it's hard but it is less intimidating each time I run this route.  That makes me happy.

Tonight I was just in a great place both physically and mentally.  I haven't run much lately and I thought I would have a problem with the hills, with exhaustion and with lack of enthusiasm but I didn't.  Tonight I just felt like the wind was in me and I was just "on".  It felt great!  (Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on the new shoes?  LOL!)  It came down to the last bit of the my usual 5k distance and I was listening to my iPod.  I had recently added some new music to my "marathon mix" that I run to and I was listening to Amy Grant's "Sing Your Praise to the Lord".  There's just something about that intro where the piano is playing and it comes to a grand crescendo and I couldn't help myself; I did a huge ballerina leap right on the path.  I didn't care who saw me and I didn't care if anyone thought I was nuts.  I just couldn't help myself.  I felt great and my feet just left the ground.  I know I probably looked silly but it doesn't matter because I felt great and when you feel great you have the right to do a ridiculous ballerina leap on the path of the trail!  And, if I do say so myself, I don't think I looked as ridiculous as you might think.  :-)  Finally, to top it all off I ran farther than I have run in a very long time.  All this makes me very happy....except for the shoes which didn't feel comfortable.

So, here's the break down:  I ran 3.52 miles (GO ME) and it took me 40 minutes to do it.  My average pace was 11:21 which seems slow but since I ran farther than I've run in a while and I was wearing new shoes I'm really content with this run.  I felt great when I was done (as evidenced by said ballerina leap) and I felt like I'd accomplished something so at the risk of being made fun of by those who run double digits faster than I can run one simple mile; I am a beast!

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment