Friday, July 20, 2012

Let Them Know You're Worth It, Dust It Off and Jerk It!

July 19, 2012

Earlier this week I was in a blue funk and decided I was going to take this week off from running.  I was feeling terribly negative about everything - the kids were constantly fighting, it's been so hot out that I just couldn't motivate myself to run outside and the treadmill bores me, blah, blah, blah.  I've been eating quit a bit too which hasn't been the norm so I was just a big bundle of negativity wrapped up in a bad attitude.  So what did I do about it?  I pulled on my big girl panties (and my spandex) and got on the treadmill.

My intention for this run was to run four miles at 5 mph with the treadmill incline set @ 2.0 but as we all know the best of intentions can go to the wayside.  In my case it was all due to a certain song on my iPod.  Now, I don't know about anyone else, but there are songs that for whatever reason just hit me and make me want to move.  The one particular song that always makes me turn up the speed on the road or on the treadmill is "Jerk It" by Thunderheist.  I'd never heard of Thunderheist before but I have discovered this cheesy show on SyFy called Lost Girl and it has opened up a whole new world of music to my iPod....well, that is, when I can find the songs on iTunes!  Anyway, "Jerk It" was on one of the episodes and it had just that particular beat and speed that really hit me that I can groove to.  So....after I'd pulled on my Big Girl Spandex and strapped on my iPod armband the first song on "Marathon Mix" (which my husband says I can't call a Marathon Mix because I've never run a marathon....pfffffffffffffft) was "I Will Survive" by Gloria Steinman which I thought was highly appropriate for the situation.  I settled into my run comfortable singing along because this run wasn't about stressing myself out (this run was about motivating myself to get up off my lazy, grumpy butt and run) when all of a sudden BAM like a freight train of bass and groove here comes Thunderheist.  What's a girl to do?  Well, I had no choice but to kick up the speed and run it out.  I had already run a little over half and mile and once I kick it up I refuse to let myself slow down until I've run at least one mile at the faster pace.  And that's what I did.  As a matter of fact, I ran a little over a mile at that pace.  GO ME!

After Thunderheist ruined my perfect plan of easing myself back into a nice and easy run by forcing me to run a mile at the faster pace I was feeling it a little and not in a good way.  I hadn't run for a couple of days and for some reason the arch in my left foot started hurting.  That was very weird.  My left knee started hurting again too.  That was not good, especially since I had stretched thoroughly before I ran.  So I slowed it down and finished my run by putting in another mile at 5 mph with the exception of maybe the last three minutes of the run.  By that point I had decided I'd had enough of this particular run and just wanted to be finished so I kicked it back up to the 5.6 mph and got through it as quick as I could.  I finished off with a thorough stretch and was glad to be back at it, even if it was on the treadmill.

As for the details, it took me 35 minutes to run 3.107 miles.  My overall pace was 11:19 and this was run on the treadmill with the incline set at 2.0 for the whole run.  I started out running 5.0 mph for the first .66 miles then kicked it up to 5.6 mph for a little over a mile.  I then slowed it back down to the 5.0 mph.  When I was at about 2.7 miles I wanted to be done so much that I kicked it back up to 5.6 mph to get done as quick as possible.  Somewhere along in there I had kicked it up to 5.4 as well but not for very long so it's almost not worth mentioning.

All in all I'm satisfied with this run even though it started out as one thing and morphed into something completely different.  I guess that's what I needed really.  Incidentally, after this run I am finding my attitude has been adjusted slightly and I'm a little more chill and can handle what I thought I couldn't before.  Glad I found the motivation to get this done.

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment