Sunday, July 8, 2012

Working it out!

July 7, 2012

I've missed a couple of days of running.  It's been hotter than Hades here and I've not been able to run outside.  On top of that I've watched my granddaughter for the past few days.  She's just three months old and super adorable cute.  She is teething so she likes to be held all the time.  There's just no running when Poppy is over here.

So after three days of Poppy sitting and hot weather I finally broke down and got on the treadmill.  I find I don't like the treadmill now that I've started running outside.  It's really boring and I find myself watching the numbers of the screen.  Our treadmill is rather old too and it squeaks and shakes while I'm running on it.  I often wonder if one day it's going to do something really freaky while I'm on it and send me flying out the window.  Time moves so slowly on the treadmill as well.  I don't enjoy my music as much either.  It just seems like the treadmill makes everything so boooooooooooring!  But when it's too hot or too late to hit the streets you have to hit the mill.

I did 3.110 miles with the first mile running @ 5.6 mph.  The last 2.1 miles were run @ 5.0 mph.  I ran the whole run with the treadmill incline set @ 2.0.  My overall pace was 11:34.  I'm trying to increase my pace since I am training for a 5k coming up the first of September.  (I challenged my husband to the race so I feel extra pressure to beat him....I've discovered this new competitive streak; I don't know where it's come from but we'll go with it, LOL)  I am feeling a little frustrated at myself because I want to be faster.  I know Rome wasn't built in a day but I feel like I should be doing better.  I suppose I'm comparing myself to others on the running website, thedailymile.com, and I know I shouldn't do this because I am still a beginner but I can't help feeling frustrated.  I want to be faster and able to run more miles.  For now I'm content with being able to run a 5k but I have my sites set on bigger and better things.

Overall this was a hard run.  I had only run two miles this week and then took three days off.  I truly enjoyed my time with my granddaughter but I did miss running.  It was difficult to get back on track and I was exhausted and soaked with sweat when I was done.  I'll tell you a little secret though; I personally like the soaked with sweat part.  It makes me feel like I am accomplishing something.  I have lost one pound from Monday though and this makes me happy.  All in all, even though it was difficult to get back to it and I felt rough after I was done I'm glad I got this run out of the way.  I feel like I have overcome the hurdle of laziness that was threatening to overwhelm me.

Glad to be back in my running shoes!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment