Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Oh, the joy of the great outdoors!

7/12/12

YAY!!!  Back to the Great Outdoors!!!!  I must admit the whole reason I was because I wanted to play with my Garmin again.  Have I mentioned that I love my Garmin?  Well, I do.  It's a handy little tool.  Anyway, the inspiration was my Garmin and I was truly glad I got out there.

Today was the usual run to the courthouse and back except this time I added a little loop around the courthouse and then ran back on the opposite side of the street.  I did this because at this point in time I don't have any way to carry water and I have to have something or I can't continue.  On the opposite side of the street at the halfway back point there's a water fountain in a small "park."  The water is hot but at least I can rehydrate and continue on home.  I was glad I've made this change in my run.  Running behind the courthouse gives me a little extra mileage and there's an extra little hill in there too which adds to my difficulty level.  I'm all about challenging myself these days.  Must be that competitive spirit, I'm even competing with myself!  Nothing wrong with that, is there?  Anyway, so I'm finding the hills are a little easier.  I also like running back on the other side of the street.  I don't know why; it may be psychological but it feels easier even though the hill looks bigger.  That is so strange and is probably all perception related but I don't care.  It works for me and that's all I care about, yeah?

Today I didn't have to walk any and I have found a way to trick myself through the hills.  I know when they are coming up so I tell myself to not look up when I know I'm close.  I can feel the grade when I'm running but if I can't see it, it's easier to get up it.  Either that or I'm just getting used to them and they aren't as daunting as they have been in the past.  I guess it doesn't matter because I'm glad that it's getting easier.  I feel like I'm accomplishing something and it feels great!

I ran 2.32 miles outside today and it was HOT so I finished up my run on the treadmill.  My first 2.32 miles @ a pace of 11:45 and it took 27 minutes to do it.  I'm getting better!  Yay!  I ran the last mile on the treadmill @ a pace of 12:00.  It took twelve minutes (big surprise there, right?  LOL!) to run the last mile.  I ran it with the incline on the treadmill set @ 2.

Once again, I would've preferred to have done my entire run outside but it was so hot and I just couldn't do it.  Overall I felt really good after this run and I'm so glad to be back in the swing of things.  Yay!!!  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Happy Running!

KEA

No comments:

Post a Comment